- 2 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 filet mignon steaks
- 3 Tbsp Acala Farms Fried Shallot Cottonseed Oil
- 2 shallots minced (optional)
- 2 Tbsp cognac
- Crumbled bleu cheese (optional)
- Coat the filets with fresh ground peppercorns and salt.
- Place a large cast iron or heavy-duty skillet over high heat until a drop of water sizzles on it. Add half of the Acala Farms Fried Shallot Oil, allow it to get very hot and add the steaks.
- Cook over a high flame for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes for rare, 3 minutes for medium-rare. Flip the steaks, drizzle remaining Acala Farms Fried Shallot Cottonseed Oil over them and cook for another 2-1/2 to 3 minutes for rare or 3 minutes for medium-rare. They should be nicely seared on both sides.
- When the second side is finished, leave the steaks in the pan over high heat, pour the cognac over them and simmer on high for one minute.
- Remove the steaks to a heated serving platter, scatter raw shallots and crumbled bleu cheese on top and pour remaining liquid from the pan over all.
Adapted from a recipe by Katherine Kinsolving and Leslie Brenner, Essential Flavors.
Image: Real Restaurant Recipes