Showcase the color and flavor of fall’s harvest with this easy yet deeply satisfying vegetarian (and vegan) meal.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp Acala Farms Pure Cottonseed Oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup toasted pistachios or pine nuts
- 1 orange, peeled and roughly chopped
- Garnish: 1 Tbsp chopped scallions or chives
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté butternut squash and onion in Acala Farms Pure Cottonseed Oil until slightly softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add spices and bay leaf, stir well, and cook about 2 minutes longer, stirring ingredients a few times (spices will become very fragrant).
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer, cover pan, and cook 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, fold in rice, raisins, pistachios, and orange pieces.
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes to heat rice. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with chopped scallions or chives.